All Coments Welcome

If you wish to make a comment on one of these blogs, please do so. I'd love to hear from you. I'd like to know who you are; but if you wish to remain anonymous, that will be fine. Keep coming back, because I will upload new blogs, check responses and reply (if necessary) at least 5 times a week. Some Saturdays and Sundays will be difficult for me to do so. Thank you. I'm glad you're here.



Sunday, May 23, 2010

Christianity as a Living Tradition


"The days are surely coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt--a covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, says the LORD. But thie is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people" (Jeremiah 31.31ff, NRSV).

"What do you mean by repeating this proverb concerning the land of Israel, "'The parents have eaten sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge'? As I live, says the Lord GOD, this proverb shall no more be used by you in Israel" (Ezekiel 18.2f, NRSV).

It is interesting to note that even though God's law, his covenant with the people would "stand forever," and yet change is very fascinating to me. If I'm not careful, I'd say this is a contradiction all unto itself. I realize, though, that nothing can be farther from the truth. In fact, it is imperative that God does change the promises, if and only if, the people are "ready" (whatever that could mean!) and could use something even better. Christians see this as being fulfilled in Christ.

Traditions do not have to be stale and unchanging to remain true to their foundations. Notice language, for instance. A "living" language will change over the course of time, as the language is being used. English speakers do not speak the same English as written in the King James Bible, though at one time, they did. Traditions can be the same way. We will see how later on in this post. Christianity is a living tradition, therefore is allowed to change within time, not expected to remain the same and die out because it doesn't answer to the needs of humans living in the here and now. The proof is in the pudding, so here I will serve.

Note the change in the use of a proverb: "The parents have eaten sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge." Now before, this proverb did adequately describe the consequences of disobedience... when God would punish those people down to the third and fourth generation. That was part of the Law covenant with Moses. (Give me a couple of days, I will find that passage and post it up.) Now they are to no longer use that. Why? It seems apparant that such a proverb will no longer accurately describe the wrath of God. We are instead told, in the same chapter, that the one who breaks the law will be the only one who will pay. This is true in dealing with God in the New Testament; for example Romans chapters 1-6.

Note too, Acts 15, where the newly formed Christian Church decided that the Gentile followers need not to convert over to Judaism, need NOT to have circumcision. Part of that reasoning was that the Apostle Peter witnessed the Spirit of God dwelling with uncircumsised Romans, who had the gifts of the Spirit, and showed adequate grace. If the Holy Spirit comes and visits such people, then circumcision must no longer be a requirement. This was a historical move for the church; because instead of choosing exclusion, "It's us against them," they chose inclusion, "We might be different, but we stand together." Even though Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and even Moses and all the prophets had to be circumcised, worshippers of God today no longer have to be. (As I type this, I hear a lot of men shout "AMEN! Hallelujah!)

The Christain Church of today may want to revisit this and reconsider their stand on allowing women to join the ministry. Perhaps even consider what the Church has traditionally seen as outcasts, and attempt reconciliation with these people, like those who have a different sexual orientation than those of the majority. After all, does not the Spirit of God visit these people as well? The Christain Church has broken off from traditional Judaism as evident in Acts 15. The Christian Church, led by the Holy Spirit, may want to take further action. I would encourage all Christains to at least, consider it; using the formulae: Does God's Spirit visit so and so?

The Bible I quote here is the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV).

Gras agus sith oirbh

(Grace and peace on you),
Alasdair Seoc Dughlas


No comments:

Post a Comment